Heartwood - 12oz Candle
Heartwood - 12oz Candle
A boundless desert night, shifting dunes under a canopy of starlight. Fleeting notes of bergamot make way for sacred oud, rich amber and soft lavender, evoking a sense of serene solitude.
12 oz / 320 g | 50+ hours burn time
- Our 100% plant based wax is made from USA grown soybeans & sustainably sourced coconuts - with zero petroleum (paraffin) or palm oil derivates.
- We only use fine fragrances free from phthalates, mutagens, carcinogens, parabens, acute, reproductive, or organ toxins.
- Our wooden wicks are made with sustainably sourced, FSC Certified Wood in the USA.
- Vegan friendly & never tested on animals.
- Hand-poured in small batches with care and attention in Chicago, IL.
Understanding Candle Fragrances
These are the fragrances you'll notice most when you first smell your candle or before lighting it, what is known as the cold throw. Their job is to intrigue and provide a gentle introduction as to what lies ahead. As your candle sits cool, these are the elevating notes that will subtly enhance your living spaces. Like all delicate things a top note is fleeting, they evaporate quickly making way for the middle and base notes.
Middle Notes, also referred to as Heart Notes appear quickly after your candle has been lit. These notes are far more stable and evaporate slower to keep your attention. They gently mingle with those fleeting top notes to give your candle it's personality.
Base notes come in right after the middle notes. They are powerful and invigorating and often linger well after your candle has been extinguished, this is because at a a molecular level they are much heavier than the other notes and evaporate the slowest. Base notes are what add complexity and much needed depth to your candle fragrance.
Top: Bergamot, Lemon Peel
Middle: Lavender, Tulip, Violet
Base: Oud, Resins, Amber, Sandalwood, Patchouli
Crafted with a combination of synthetic & natural fine fragrance oils infused with the essential oils of Lemon, Orange, Lime Terpenes, Basil, Cedarwood, Guaiac Wood and Patchouli.
The Fragrance in Detail
It's smells delicately floral, with some spicy rich undertones and a hint of citrus.
This fragrance begins to fill a room quite quickly. The florals are the most prevalent, especially the lavender that smells powdery and clean, like a really good smelling person. The oud and resinous wood lend some intrigue to the base and make this fragrance complex, robust and full.
The oud and resins linger the longest.
Your Home, but Better...
We purposely design our candle fragrances to enhance your living space and not over power it. Scent strength is of course subjective but we hope to do our best in describing what you might expect from this fragrance.
We've determined this fragrance to be MODERATE/STRONG in our 12oz Vessel, and a little LIGHTER in our 8oz Vessel. It is ideal for those who like a full but gentle fragrance.
Our scent strength descriptions are based on our findings in rooms comparable to an average size living room (15ft x 20ft or 300 sq feet) with good airflow, this scent will be stronger in smaller sized rooms, and lighter in larger rooms.
Placement is Everything...
Our candles are proudly free from harmful ingredients such as phthalates and non-sustainable ingredients such as paraffin which are typically used to disperse scent further.
Placing your candle in a spot to take advantage of the natural airflow of your room will do this instead. Try experimenting with a few different* spots.
*be sure not to burn in a drafty areas, to ensure a soot free, controlled burn.
Shipping & Returns
All orders are packaged and handed over to our shippers within 1-3 business days of receiving your order.
We offer flat rate shipping (3-5 business days) for $5 and shipping is free for orders over $85.
Flat Rate & Free Shipping applies to FULL PRICED items only. During SALE periods Shipping is calculated at the checkout.
Plant a Tree!
Returns & Exchanges
We accept returns on items within 7 days of delivery. Return postage is at the expense of the purchaser. Shipping fees are non-returnable.
If you've any questions prior to purchasing feel free to reach out and we will be happy to help.
Of course if your product arrives damaged or defective please do reach out because we obviously really would like to fix that for you. Contact us!
To prevent fire or serious injury we encourage you to use our candles safely and responsibly and follow these common sense usage guidelines:
- leave a burning candle unattended
- burn your candle in the reach of children or pets
- burn your candle on or near anything that can catch fire such as but not limited to drapes, curtains, papers, books, bedding, blankets, decorations etc.
- burn your candle in the way of a draft, open window, fan etc
- burn your candle for longer than 4 hours at a time
- try to pick up candle that is burning or has recently been put out. Only move a candle once it has cooled
- use our lid to extinguish your candle flame, our lids are not designed for this purpose
- trim the wick to 1/8 inch before use to prevent flaring or an overly large flame. You can simply pinch off the black part of the wick.
- give your candle a nice clear, heat proof, uncluttered area to sit on
- extinguish the flame if it becomes to high or is repeatedly flickering. Trim the wick, check for drafts
- leave at least 4 inches between burning candles
- place your candle on a stable, heat proof surface
- keep your wax pool clear of matches, burned wick and other debris
- be sure to extinguish your candle properly and carefully after use
- wait until the flame is completely extinguished, the smoke has cleared and the candle is cool before replacing your lid
- Container may become hot during use
- Stop burning this candle when only 1/2 inch of wax remains in the vessel
- Blow gently to extinguish to avoid splattering wax, especially if you have created a large wax pool
NOTES FROM OUR FOUNDER
This candle smells like new cashmere and old money!
We love the relaxing benefits of lavender but often find that it veers into a fake and soapy smell. This lavender is as close as smelling it straight from the plant as we could find (and we tested a ton of options). It's floral and clean but retains it 'greeness'.
Oud is one of the most luxurious notes in perfumery and gives this scent a resinous, rich and luxurious base. Have you ever caught a whiff of someone walking by and they smell so good that you can't help but spin your head? It'll be the oud! Clean, like great aftershave.
If this candle were a song it would definitely be:
🎶 Is It a Crime by Sade 🎶
Dubbed the Prince of Citrus, sunny bergamot imparts a sweet-yet-tangy essence that leads us into this complex and deep fragrance.
The unmistakable but oh-so calming scent of Lavender resides at the core of this fragrance. It's a touch floral, a touch sweet, a touch powdery, earthy, evergreen, clean ... the list goes on!
RESINS & OUD
Yep, we said it; SEXY! I know, you wouldn't know by looking at it, but don't be fooled by its modest, jerky looking appearance.
The untamed, animalistic vibes of resinous wood & oud are what save this fragrance from smelling like your Nan's house and more like that person you're always telling your friends "smells so good!".
TRIM THAT WICK
For a clean, safe burn and increased candle lifespan trim wick to 5mm either with wick trimmers or by gently pinching the burned wood away.
The best way to light an X wick is by lighting right in the middle and the flame should move across evenly. We find that an electric candle lighter is the best tool for the job. The flame may initially appear tall, but should settle at 1/2" to 1" tall after a minute. If the flame remains taller than 1" then you may not have trimmed it enough. Extinguish, trim and relight.
LET IT BURN
To avoid tunneling let the candle burn until there is 1/4" or less unmelted wax around the edge. This is especially important on the first burn.
Never leave your lit candle unattended, or in reach of curious children and pets. Never burn for longer than 4 hours. For a controlled, soot free burn, ensure candle is away from draughts. Use a coaster or tile to protect surfaces from heat.
KNOW WHEN TO SAY GOODBYE
Stop burning your candle when 1/2" of unmelted wax remains. Lighting after this point can cause the jar to overheat.
Bigger room? Try our 12 oz candle.